Got Earthquake or Storm Damage?



If your house was among the many that sprouted cracks and leaks (or worse) in Earth's recent tectonic North Coast smackdown, or if it suffered flood damage from the near-Biblical storm that's saturating our very pores, well... Humboldt County to the rescue!

Low-interest, deferred loans are now available for low-ish income residents to conduct home repairs or even energy efficiency upgrades, according to a press release from the county's economic development division. Read on...

Here's the fine print:

  • You must own and occupy your home as your primary residence in order to qualify.

  • It has to be within county limits, of course.
  • The paycheck cutoff is 80 percent or less of the county's median income. That means a family of two can make no more than $35,700 per year; a family of four -- $44,650.

  • This is indeed a loan -- not a grant -- but monthly payments will not be required. In fact, you don't even have to pay it back until you sell the place or move out.

  • This is not a green light to pimp your pad: "The program stipulates that the home may not be valued over $299,250 after [the] work has been completed," the release states.

  • Rehab projects can include health and safety code items, roofs, foundations, paint, plumbing, electrical and septic systems as well as efficiency upgrades.

The money's coming from a grant courtesy of the California Department of Housing and Community Development.

For more info you can call the County Economic Development Division at 445-7745.

Add a comment