On March 6th 2015 at approximately 10:30 PM a Humboldt Bay Fire Engine Company was dispatched to a reported chimney fire at 230 Long Street. Upon arrival the Engine Captain reported that fire had extended to the roof and eaves of a large two-story Victorian-style residence. In addition, a resident had fallen approximately 15’ off of a ladder while attempting to extinguish the fire and had sustained serious injuries. Additional fire units and an ambulance were called to the scene.
As the first due engine company was engaged in patient care, subsequent arriving engines and the truck company focused on extinguishing the fire and checking for extension into the attic. The resident was transported to St Joseph Hospital. Unfortunately, in spite of the efforts of fire, ambulance, and emergency room staff the victim succumbed to his injuries.
Crews extinguished the fire and remained on scene for approximately one hour to ensure the fire was completely out. The fire, caused by wood stove embers landing on and igniting the building’s shake roof, caused approximately $10,000 in fire and smoke damage to the residence.