On 11/14/2020 at 3:56 P.M. Humboldt Bay Fire was dispatched to a reported structure fire on the 3400 Block of Christie Street. The first arriving engine company reported smoke coming from the second floor of a two-story wood-framed apartment building and a bystander attempting to extinguish the fire from the exterior.
Personnel from that engine company quickly attacked the fire and searched the smoke-filled structure for victims. The personnel located a dog and removed it from the structure. The dog was uninjured. There were no residents home at the time of the fire.
Additional units opened concealed spaces and extinguished fire that had started in a bathroom and spread through a ventilation fan and in to the wall. The fire was controlled within ten minutes. Personnel remained on scene for approximately one hour to extinguish hot spots.
The cause of the fire appeared to be accidental. An unattended candle had ignited nearby linens and spread to the structural members. Estimated damage to the structure is $5,000.
Humboldt Bay Fire would like to remind everyone to never leave candles unattended. We also want to thank the bystander for his quick actions of both notifying the fire department first and then attempting to control the fire.